Gateshead Armed Forces Community Support
Have you or a family member previously served in the Armed Forces, or are currently serving in the regular or reserve forces? If so, there is support available to you in Gateshead.
We can help with:
- Community Visits - Our Armed Forces Community Outreach Worker can visit you or your family member at home or in the local community to discuss options available for help and support.
- Benefits - We can check that you or your family member have accessed all of the benefits available to you from the MOD.
- Employment - Support and advice on employment can also be provided by our Armed Forces Community Outreach Worker.
- Housing - Your time in in regular military service will be taken into account if you apply for housing with Gateshead Council. Supported housing is also available for ex-service people through Norcare (part of Fabrick Group).
- Health & Fitness - We can offer the first month free on our sport and leisure GO Membership at any Gateshead Council leisure centre for those who have recently left regular military service.
- Travel - To help get around, recent service leavers can access free bus travel on GO North East services. Further information can be found on the GO North East website.
- Funding - The Community Covenant Grant Scheme has been set up by the MOD to help local projects strengthen the links between the armed forces and the local community, with grants available from £100 - £250,000.
Further information can be found on the MOD website. To apply for a grant contact Armed Forces Community Support on the number below. For further information and advice on the support available contact Armed Forces Community Support on 0191 433 4545