Our project is part of the charity, Children North East and is called Gateshead Youth Link.
Gateshead Youth Link offers peer mentoring to young people living in Gateshead who are socially isolated.
The young people are aged 11-18 years old and referrals for support can be made by a young person, a parent or any professional working with the young person.
Gateshead Youth Link will match the young person up with a Volunteer Peer Mentor aged 17-25 years old, who will support them to work towards individual goals they have identified. The mentor, once matched, will meet their young person once per week for a couple of hours in the community, for up to 12 sessions.
Benefits to becoming a volunteer peer mentor with Gateshead Youth Link:
- Induction Training course - provides a Level 2 accreditation through ONE Awards in 'Developing Mentoring Skills'
- Additional optional training and
- refreshments offered when available
- Experience to enhance volunteers CV and option of references
- All expenses associated with mentoring covered (DBS check cost covered and mentoring expenses reimbursed)
- Ongoing support from project Co-ordinator and regular supervision once matched.
- Back-Up support when out on 1:1 sessions.