89 Albert Embankment
Become a Macmillan Telephone Buddy and make a difference to people living with cancer.
At Macmillan we give people with cancer everything we’ve got. Are you a good listener and clear communicator? Then we would love you to join our team as a Macmillan Telephone Buddy and help Macmillan support people living with cancer.
We are looking for Telephone Buddy Volunteers across all areas of the North East of England to provide telephone support. The time commitment varies and days/times are flexible but those undertaking the role usually commit to approximately 1-2 hours a week.
Selection will be after an informal interview and on successful completion of online training and induction. The training consists of both self-directed online learning and 'live' online group training and will take a combined total of approximately 10 hours to complete. You will need to complete this training within 6 weeks of submitting your application.
By sharing your skills and time, you’ll have the opportunity to utilise and develop your skills and will make a difference to people’s lives. Together, we can be right there for people with cancer. If you would like to join our team, apply to volunteer today!
- Patient, flexible and reliable.
- Ability to respect others’ differences and choices.
- Ability to demonstrate empathy and understanding while maintaining boundaries.
- Ability to recognise when to ask for support.
- Ability to work independently with guidance and support.
- Understand the need to maintain confidentiality.
- Good IT skills in order to access required systems and resources.
- Ability to commit to 4 hours of online training.
Benefits for the Volunteer
- Meet new people as part of a friendly team that makes a difference.
- Use and develop your communication and people skills.
- Have a rewarding experience making a difference to people living with cancer.
- Receive an induction, relevant training, the support you need to carry out your role, and agreed out-of-pocket expenses (reimbursed within our guidelines).