Last session date (if known)
Share your views on Libraries in Gateshead
We are encouraging library users to help shape the future of their local library service by taking part in a public consultation on proposed changes. Under the new proposals, some library buildings would be transformed into community spaces that bring together key council services, voluntary and community organisations and neighbourhood groups.
We currently operate eight libraries across Gateshead, offering a wide range of books, free computer access, and online resources, as well as hosting regular events. In response to significant cuts in Government grants to councils it is necessary to explore opportunities to do things differently both to improve reach and outcomes whilst also reducing the level of subsidy for all council services, including libraries.
Library users can complete the questionnaire online or pick up a printed version from any library.
The proposal does not include Gateshead Central Library and Archive, or the libraries at Blaydon and Birtley, which will continue to be operated by Gateshead Council. It also does not mean a reduction in staff or the closure of any library sites.
To enable library users to ask questions regarding the consultation process and the future of library services, the council are hosting a series of drop-in sessions:
- Monday 15 November, 2 to 3.30pm at Birtley Library
- Tuesday 16 November, 2 to 3.30pm at Gateshead Central Library
- Wednesday 17 November, 2 to 3.30pm at Blaydon Library
- Thursday 18 November, 10 to 11.30am at Pelaw Library
- Saturday 20th November, 10 to 11.30am at Crawcrook Library
- Monday 22 November, 2 to 3.30pm at Leam Lane Library
- Thursday 25 November, 10 to 11.30am at Chopwell Library
- Thursday 25 November, 5 to 6.30pm at Gateshead Central Library
- Friday 26 November, 10 to 11.30am at Blaydon Library
- Saturday 27 November, 10 to 11.30am at Pelaw Library
- Monday 29 November, 10 to 11.30am at Gateshead Central Library
- Tuesday 30 November, 2 to 3.30pm at Crawcrook Library
- Wednesday 1 December, 10 to 11.30am at Birtley Library
- Thursday 2 December, 2 to 3.30pm at Chopwell Library
- Saturday 4 December, 10 to 11.30am at Leam Lane Library