Independent Age; Community Volunteer
As a Community Volunteer you will support and work with an older person to help them achieve their desired goals. We want to ensure that more people can live a happy, connected and purposeful later life and this role is pivotal in helping us do that.
When a person is referred into the service they will work with us to identify what they would like to achieve. You will then meet up with and provide support to the person for about 6-9 months to enable them to achieve these goals. This is likely to be once a week but is flexible. What you’ll actually be doing when you meet up is dependent on the goals of the older person but could include getting out and about, assisting with shopping, attending different activities or enabling the person to feel more confident using technology.
Possible list of activities includes:
- Providing companionship, encouragement and ideas to help people establish new friendships and enjoy new experiences
- Working alongside Independent Age employees and other volunteers to support people to achieve their goals
- Meeting for a coffee in a café
- Travelling with/driving someone to appointments
- Accompanying someone to a social group
- Support with IT/Technology
- Supporting someone to go shopping
- Going out for walks
- Supporting someone to become more active
Volunteers should have the following skills:
- Good communication skills
- Ability to handle personal date sensitively and confidentially
- Happy to work as apart of a team either in person or remotely
- Basic IT skills/any IT requisites
This volunteer role is flexible and be arrange on days and times that best suit the volunteer and the individual that they are supporting, however the project requests at least 1 hour volunteering on a weekly basis if possible.