Events of the North, Event Crew Volunteers
Working with volunteers, Events of the North deliver race events across the North East making sure that the race day is a huge success.
You could be part of their small army of helpers, ensuring that runners and spectators alike have a great experience. You don’t need to have any special skills you just need to be reliable, flexible and have lots of enthusiasm.
There are a whole range of different volunteer roles across the events available including:
- Radio course marshal – manning the route and responsible for a couple of course marshals, in radio contact with event control
- Course marshal – manning the route
- Transition crew – assisting staff to coordinate the transition area, ensuring rules are obeyed and athletes/spectators directed.
- Finish crew – handing out medals, water, goody bags and t-shirts
- Baggage crew – looking after the baggage drop area, making sure it remains secure at all times
- Water station crew – managing a water station on the route (can be done as a group if needed)
- Goody bag packing – usually the Friday before the event (the more people we have the quicker we get these done, usually around 5,000 to pack!)
No formal qualifications are required and a DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) Check is not required for this role.
There are some race events planned in 2020 which require volunteers. These include:
- Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th May 2020 – Sunderland 10 years anniversary 10k, the Northern Spire 5k, stunning Half Marathon event, and the big 3k run. Volunteers can volunteer for 1 or 2 days
- Saturday 22nd August 2020 – set on the Newcastle Gateshead Quayside, the location of this event is iconic. 3 duathlons, a 5k, 10k and junior run
- Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th October 2020 – Britain’s most beautiful marathon weekend takes place in idyllic Kielder Forest. This takes place over 2 days, 5 events and 4000 athletes. Accommodation can be provided if volunteers wish to stay overnight at Kielder. Volunteers can volunteer for 1 or 2 days.
- Thursday 16th, Friday 17th & Saturday 18th July 2020 – This is a 3 day festival which includes a 5k, 10k, Families on Track, Run like a Legend, and numerous themed runs and talks volunteers can volunteer for 1, 2 or 3 days.